Skip to main content

Film Coursework.

A Level Film- 

Creating my script for my film.


My concept.

For my narrative I would like to develop a single character, entwining time travel and music in order to enforce the escapist style I aim towards.

My initial idea is to track a woman who listens to music from several decades - the 1940's, 60's and 80's. A narrative twist emerges which plummets the character into that decade and things start to go wrong.

I am keen to work in the genre of sci-fi whilst also hinting at the sub genre of escapism.
Overall, the message of the narrative is that history is already written, everything that was supposed to happen already has. Time is not to be meddled with. 


Short Films influencing my concept:

  • 'La Jetee' - Chris Marker (26 mins . 35 secs).
'La Jetee' has inspired me through its sci-fi conventions and the feel of an escapist montage.
The use of photos montaging in sequence isn't an aspect that I'd like to particularly take forward for my screenplay though. I am more drawn towards its context and aesthetic feel of fantasy.

  • 'Connect' -  Samuel Abrahams (5 mins).
'Connect' has influenced my ideas for my screenplay as I love the aspect contextually that real life and fantasy can live together on film , filming in a real life situation can also have deeper contexts. I admire how the director has positioned the main subject to be omniscient of both words - and living through both of them. Her reactions to actions (such as the gunshot) position the subject in a relatable form for the audience to connect with.








The aspect of including music inspired me to include this in my screenplay- using music as a pivotal device leading to different twists.
  • 'Curfew' - Shawn Christensen (19 mins . 42 secs).
'Curfew' has influenced me through its cinematography and mise en scene , I felt that my imaginations for my screenplay cinematically were showcased well in this short film.
For example, the retro feel- close ups at the beginning gave me inspiration for the narrative twist in my screenplay. It has helped me get an idea for how I want to introduce the use of an MP3 player.


For my screenplay I would like to use a lot of mid-long shots of the subject - grasping its environment and also keeping the camera still as though the subject is walking into the shot. 
I feel that the aesthetics of this shot are very observant , we get a feel for the atmosphere which will be relevant for my script as it is set in different times so i will need to clarify where the subject is.


  • 'Meshes of the afternoon' - Maya Deren (13 mins . 29 secs).
I am taking inspiration from this film aesthetically as it links well with the escapist style I strive towards. The idea of escaping the ideology of normality - It made me feel like I was in another universe just from its surreal feel. The non- diegetic sound is very atmospheric and creates the idea of abnormality which I'd like to take and forward towards my ideas for my screenplay.
The camera seems to be very free flowing linking it to the idea of a sci-fi feel. As it is clear from this shot, the surroundings are just as prominent as the subject.


  • 'Swimmer' - Lynne Ramsay (16 mins . 51 secs).
I am using 'Swimmer' as inspiration for my screenplay as I love how the aesthetics along with music tell a narrative without a narrator. I feel that it is very powerful as the audience can perceive it however they choose, it powerfully gives off an escapist style. The clear visuals focusing on the foreground make the main character appear so vibrant and alive which is an aspect I definitely want to capture.




My short film inspiration adds up to 80 mins and 57 secs.




Inspiration from mainstream cinema.

My cinematic ideas stem from Hollywood films such as 'Back to the Future' -Robert Zemeckis.

Comments